Monday, November 23, 2009

Health Continuity

I've realized I'm healthiest when I am consistent with myself. When I have days and days where Frazier drags me to Donut Country...okay, he doesn't drag me.... but for real, it's hard to keep eating well! Stan got me into a Kurzweil kick a while back. Ray Kurzweil is a 'futurist' that writes books and does research on ways to reach your optimum health, so that you can live the longest possible life in the best health possible. He just came out with a new book, too, that I haven't gotten to read yet-- (*note: Stan I know you're reading this... Bring it to me please? : ) lol) When I first started, which was about a year ago, I took on a lot of his principles. I started taking about 12 supplements a day and doing it perfectly so as not to get too much of each vitamin/mineral/herb. I've always been really interested in health and, particularly, natural cures and remedies. I honestly believe that if I weren't a performer, I would devote my time to going to school for holistics and maybe start up a yoga studio. Lol. Sounds hippie, I know, but I would! ha!

Anyway--I spend time trying to work different things into my life at different times. You can't just incorporate new habits into your life (if you want them to last!) all at once. Previously, I've wiped out dark sodas...then I cut out sugar from my tea...then sugar from my coffee (and occassionally cream ; )), and now I'm working on replacing my coffee for tea (for the most part). I just drink too much coffee. Seriously, too much. Studies have been shown that coffee can be good for you, but too much of a good thing is usually never good. Anywho-- On my tea kick, I'm now drinking lots of green tea (my favorite being a london brand 'Twinings' with mint!). I've also begun drinking chamomile tea every night for a little while before bed. Chamomile is not only good for you, but it will knock you out!!--something I need badly; it's usually very difficult for me to fall asleep at night. My mind races thinking "Okay, Alli, what do you need to do tomorrow? Get up at 5 am and write an essay, work out at 7am...etc, etc.". Unnecessary! I don't think I'm going to forget all that I need to do when I get up in the morning. I just have to put that stuuuufff aside when I'm going to sleep. Who wants to have dreams about homework? poooie.

I'm also currently focused on lowering my body fat percentage...which is not easy to do, but I'm trying really really hard!! lol. When I read Kurzweil's stuff, I just think "Ya know, if I'm not in the best shape that I can possibly be when I'm 22, when will I be?". No time like the present, right?! I've already made some progress!! People focus waaaay too much on losing weight. I had this conversation with a girl the other day who told me she's going vegetarian to lose weight....and then I noticed she was eating a bunch of french fries, grilled cheese, stuff like that... People need to realize that going vegetarian doesn't just make you lose weight... You have to try even harder than others to be healthy, but the payoff is ten times healthier than if you were getting that protein through meat. So, anywho...just got off on a tagent there. I'll let you know how this body fat percentage thing goes! Six-pack baby! lol. I need to be able to beat up these crazy people running around on MTSU's campus... ahhh....

No comments: